Thursday, December 25, 2014

I Am the Grinch

I do realize the color and everything is freaky, bur it's my first, so go easy on me, okay?

As you might know... one of the big things recently is Christmas. As you might also know, the Grinch didn't like Christmas.

Here's a brief version of the story: the Grinch is some little guy that disliked the whole Christmas season because of the noise, and lights, the happiness and the feast. He was just kind of bitter. So he tried to stop Christmas by stealing everyone's gifts, food, Christmas decorations when they were sleeping, hoping they'd despair..... To his surprise, they celebrated Christmas like nothing's happened, which made the Grinch realize Christmas might be something more than what he had stolen. He then brought back everything and celebrate with the people. Happily ever after.

By saying I am the Grinch, I don't mean that I steal presents or hate people who celebrate Christmas. I actually like the holiday! I could almost smell the happiness and the excitement in the air (and of course, the food. Heh.) It's also Constitution Day in my country, so my friends and I can joke about that on our Christmas cards. There are just some things that bother me and make me feel like the Grinch.



Christmas cards
It's always a delight to give and receive cards, whenever it is, but sometimes it becomes a pressure. See, if I want to give cards to my friends, I deliver them at school because it's the most convenient way. But then after giving cards to them, some other classmates would be like, "Hey, do I get one as well?" And that's where things get awkward. (It really did happen before.)
Honestly, I want give cards to people I really care about and know well, or else there's not really much to write in them. But that doesn't mean I don't like those who don't get cards. I just can't please everybody by giving each a card, or I'd exhaust myself. Plus, it takes time. I only write things that come from the heart, and it's hard to write a lot when I hardly know that person. So that's one.

Presents
When it comes to presents, there's even more struggling. First, what do I buy? It's already hard to guess what my friends want, and it's even worse when there's a gift exchange party, where I don't even know who gets the gift! Plus, it involves more money. Yeah, spending money on people I love is totally worth it, especially when they have that surprised and excited smile. However I don't earn my own money right now, so spending my money = spending my parents' money. And it feels awful when I think of it: I'm spending my parents' money to buy things for people they probably don't know. I'd much prefer buying gifts when I can earn my own money, thank you very much.

My family doesn't celebrate Christmas
My family is not a problem. It's just that when everybody else is excited for a holiday, you'd wonder why your family is the only one that isn't. When I was little, I did ask my dad why we don't celebrate. His answer is that Christmas isn't even an original holiday in Taiwan; it's just a religious day for Christians plus merchants getting another chance to make money. So I'm kind of stuck with that thought since. I think I understand why he doesn't want anything to do with the holiday, though. It means spending more money and faking courtesy for people he barely knows.


Everything comes with a price, I found. Christmas may be a happy holiday, but it also means dealing with a lot of things, and it's just a bit tiring. Maybe I should take a break from all those holidays. Or maybe I'm just a cynical and dingy jerk who doesn't want to spend money or time on holidays. The Christmas atmosphere is still really wonderful, and seeing others happy is definitely a thing I love. I think I'll just sit aside and watch.

What do you think? Do you feel the stress while Christmas? Do you ever get tired of it? What do you do? I'd really like to hear from you, and as usual, thanks a lot for reading!

(I took the picture of the Grinch from the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas. All rights belong to Dr. Seuss.)

No comments:

Post a Comment